AmigaActive (2139/2143)

From:Eddie Moore
Date:31 May 2000 at 16:09:36
Subject:Re: Mil Spec was Re: More PS2 Madness

Hello Don!

On 26-May-00, Don Cox wrote:

>> *We* know that , in a lot of cases, there are alternatives to the
>> Wintel monopoly, and those of us who are in a position to be able to
>> do so, try to teach our children that fact, but "in a lot of cases"
>> isn't really good enough to convince the powers-that-be to at least
>> /look/ at the alternatives B-(

> You can at least explain to him that real robots run on QNX.

I can indeed. In the same way that I explained (and demonstrated) to him
that process control systems run on proprietry hardware/software.
Unfortunately, at least in my sector of the industry, that no longer holds
true, with the vast majority of new systems having a Windows-based
front-end and configuration s/w.

Ehh, many moons ago, I remember seeing a couple of Amiga 2000s controlling
the sequencing logic on one of the plants of a well-known soap powder
manufacturer; those days are long gone...

> (And lots of other OSes, but certainly not Windows or Amiga.)

> Tell him to load up the QNX site at school and look at the Real Worlsd
> stories.

I'll do that; thanks for the info.

Regards,
Eddie

email: eddie@4-moores.co.uk

or: eddie@casaloco.freeserve.co.uk

Web Site: Coming soon...

Tired of searching?
Get the right answer, fast, from someone who's been there - guaranteed.